Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 8:00am - 4:30pm
STC Toronto hosts this event to provide opportunities for professional development, create a sense of community, promote technical communication and technical communicators, and communicate professional opportunities to its members. (Download the flyer with details from our Community Docs page.)
- Registration and Welcome 8am – 9am
- Self Directed Development 9am – 10 Start Career Day with questions about how we make ourselves into technical communicators (or information developers, content strategists, and so on.) To what extent do we make it happen ourselves? To what extent does it just happen? And to what extent do others make it happen? And if we are in charge of our own development, what can we do about it?
- Personal Branding 10:15am – 11:30 It’s obvious that we live in a world inundated by corporate and product branding. But what is personal branding? What does it mean? Do you know what it can do for you? Have you invested time to define your own brand? Personal branding is a way of communicating your core values to the world and serves as a guide to your professional behaviour.
- Job Hunting Secrets That Might Surprise You 1pm – 2 For years I resisted speaking about resumes, thinking everything that could be said has already been covered. After seeing candidate after candidate rejected based on what they had—or didn’t have—in a resume, I realized it’s time to step up and share what I have observed over the years: Job hunting secrets that might surprise you.
- WORKSHOP: What Makes an Excellent Résumé 2:15pm – 4:30 What puts your resume to the top of search engines or in front of HR managers? What sets you apart? This seemingly simple document is really a marketing tool that capitalizes on usability, technology, and psychology to be truly effective. Participate in an interactive workshop to build a winning résumé to identify you as the best of the best. Bring along and update your current resume or create one during this interactive session.